Royal Mail is launching one of the largest ever apprenticeship schemes in the UK that will recruit 1,000 wannabe posties.
Applicants who complete the programme, which is geared around on-the-job training, will be offered permanent roles.
Royal Mail said many of its senior employees began their careers through its postal cadet scheme, which was stopped in 1996.
The new postal apprenticeship scheme, which will last for 13 months, plans to “build on that history” and “bring fresh talent” to the organisation.
The role will involve completing the day-to-day duties of a delivery person, with additional online lessons and training. About 80 per cent of the apprenticeship will take the form of on-the-job work with the remaining 20 per cent of training done online to secure Level 2 apprenticeship certification.
Royal Mail said participants would receive local support from their line manager, a designated workplace coach, a buddy scheme and a mentor to support their career progression. Additionally, Babington, its training provider, will support their pastoral care and oversee their progress.
Applicants will be asked to complete a situational judgment test, a virtual interview and later be invited to meet their line manager. The initial cohort of 500 apprenticeships will begin in September. The scheme opens for applications on Monday.
Ricky McAulay, Royal Mail’s operations development director, said: “We couldn’t be prouder to launch our postal apprenticeship scheme at a time when the pandemic continues to take a heavy toll on career opportunities across the country.”